Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Benson maced for drunken boating

Photobucket
Careful Cedric, he winked at you. Time to fall over and blame the O-Line!

Cedric Benson of the Chicago Bears was arrested for BOATING While Intoxicated as a result of a routine safety check. During the inspection, it became clear that Benson was intoxicated and resisted arrest, leading to him being maced in the face.

According to reports published by ESPN, Benson took field sobriety tests on the boat and the officer wanted to go to land for further testing. At that point, Benson declined to go ashore and was maced.

My favorite part of this entire story is Benson's response released today.

"I'm thinking, I passed all the tests, did everything right. Then the officer told me we needed to go to land to take more tests. I politely asked him why we needed to go to land to take more tests when I took every test. Then he sprayed me with mace, on his boat.
"I'm not handcuffed. I'm not under arrest. I'm not threatening him. I'm not pushing him. I'm not touching him. And he sprays me right in my eye."


Maybe I'm just skeptical, but for some reason I doubt a law enforcement officer would spray Benson in the face in front of a large group of people just for a good time. While Benson may crumble to 190 pound free safeties in the open field, he still isn't a small guy. Also, officers are intelligent enough to follow proper procedure in any situation involving many witnesses, intoxicated or otherwise.


Any bets on if Cedric played the "Do you know who I am?" card? Maybe the officer knew exactly who Cedric Benson is, the flop 4th draft pick that pushed out Thomas Jones and helped to upset the Bears' lockerroom.

2 comments:

Sean C Sperling said...

Good to see the Lions aren't the only team without the ability to assess talent or character.

Biscuit Content said...

As a fellow Lions fan, I would say Sean hit the nail on the head.