Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'm a Believer

I can remember watching Kerry Wood in 1998 when he threw his 20-strikeout gem. Years later he was being looked at as a total bust. Now, Wood is making a revival in the bullpen as the Cubs closer, making his 9th save of the season earlier today.

Alfonso Soriano has spent his career going from an All-Star second baseman with the biggest franchise in professional sports to an outfielder for the Rangers and Nationals. Now Soriano is a Cubbie and despite receiving more boos than Tony Romo during the 7th inning stretch, Soriano has risen to his old form and is really producing out of the lead off position again.

As a life long fan of the lovable losers it's tough to get too high on the team that lets me down season after season. That said, I'm tempted to believe at this point. Soriano is getting on base and hitting for power, Derek Lee is playing well and Fukudome looks like just the piece the team was missing.

With all of the surprises for this season, I have to give the most credit to the pitching as Ryan Dempster is 5-1 with a 2.35 ERA and Kerry Wood looks rejuvenated.

Behind solid pitching and timely hitting, the Cubs are 10 games over .500 at 26-16 and have the lead in the NL Central. I know this happens every year, but I'm officially excited about the Cubs' chances in the playoffs.

I used to think I'd give up hope at some point, but considering it's been 100 years since the last championship and I still enter every season like the ugly kid going stag at prom, hoping that this just might be my chance, I hold on to the long shot, the underdog. Go Cubs!

No comments: